Monday, March 25, 2013

National Waffle Day

I am such a slacker when it comes to it. Sometimes I just feel like I don't have enough to write to consider writing a blog. Last week I went to the doctors because I have an infection in my tooth. He gave me antibiotics and I got the spiel about what not to eat and eat with the infection in order to make sure it heals correctly and then I got questioned about my diabetes (mind you its a free clinic so its not my regular doctor). He looked at me like I was lying when I said I do not eat sweets, I eat 90% non processed foods, I do not drink juice or soda. He was also surprised that my sugar numbers normally run 60-120 when I check them fasting and after meals. It really made me mad yes I am 390 pounds but I have also lost 18 pounds since the beginning of February. I really have been in a baking mode I made those strawberry cupcakes that were delicious, last night I made macaroons. Today is national waffle day which I was informed of when I woke up because Bill heard it on the local news. Well wasn't he in for a surprise because last night before
bed I looked up some pumpkin pecan waffles.
Macaroons:
3 egg whites
1/4 cup of honey
1/4 tsp of salt
1/4 tsp of vanilla
2 cups of unsweetened  coconut
Mix egg whites and honey until it is white and starting to get stiff. Briefly mix in the salt and vanilla. Mix in the coconut and refrigerate for half an hour. Bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
I adapted a recipe from Joyful Adobe  for the waffles
  • 1 1/2 cups almond flour
  • 5 eggs
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 ripe bananas, mashed (the more ripe they are, the sweeter the waffles will be) 2/3 cup of pureed pumpkin
  • 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • Coconut oil
  • Chopped pecans
  • I added 1 Tablespoon of honey and 2 Tablespoons of flax seed meal
Mix eggs, pumpkin, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, vanilla, and pumpkin pie spice. Add the almond flour in small batches so it will not clump and then mix in the flax  seed meal. Let the batter sit 5 minutes while your waffle iron heats up. I still have non paleo friendly items in the house that I am trying to use up like Pam spray and syrup. So I used these because I do not want to waste the items.

Tonight I am making home made spaghetti sauce over spaghetti squash. My sauce is basically my way of cleaning out my fridge, bell peppers, zucchini, yellow squash, pork sausage, onion, and whatever spices I feel like using that day. I bake my squash after I cut it in half and clean it out for about an hour to hour and half at 350.

No comments:

Post a Comment